Wednesday 16 January 2013

CHRISTMAS - GIVING

So it’s very cliché that Christmas is the season of giving and yea we buy presents for friends and families but we have come to a point where we benefit only people of equal socio-economic status and barely do I hear these days about people (individuals) giving to the less fortunate. How much effort do we actually take to think about the less fortunate? So something my wife shared just a couple days ago really made me think.

A friend of ours (more closely related to her) will be celebrating their daughter’s birthday soon and we have been invited. The couple however has requested that we do not buy any presents for their daughter. Ok.. this sounds very familiar… “Should you wish to bless us, monetary mode preferred”. But the next thing she told me really struck me and the thought has been in my head ever since. They would on that day pass around a box and all money collected on that day would be donated to an orphanage! It struck me for these couple of reasons:

1.       In our plenty, are we really thankful for all we have and think about the masses out there that are less fortunate or do we continually covet for more? Apart from being just verbally thankful, do we express this by sharing?

2.       How often do we actually actively think of ways to bless the less fortunate? We often become passive contributors where somebody else’s thinks of a donation program and we just contribute. We can as easily be active contributors ourselves. Their plan was ingenious.

3.       We have come to a point in society where we the rich (and I am talking about people like you and me who have more than enough to get by the day) continually benefit each other (i.e. buying presents for each other). Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying that it’s wrong to buy presents in appreciation of each other but it shouldn’t stop at just that. Honestly, we are the group of people that do not need to receive presents. We have enough. I have to reiterate this again – I am not proposing against giving presents to one another as a gesture of appreciation but we need to take the extra step to think of people, kids who are orphans who live in communal houses instead of the loving embrace of our parents.

4.       Do we really need all the gifts? Just last year, we celebrated Athalie’s birthday and I was really happy to receive all the gifts on Athalie’s behalf. Seriously happy that we receive so much and thankful for the generosity of our friends and families. But after hearing about what these couple were going to do… I began asking myself… “Did Athalie really need all the presents?” She already has lot of toys… Definitely more than what she can play with. Could we have taken similar steps and bless some other kids who needed them more? Let’s stop talking about 2nd hand toys and start thinking about giving 1st hand toys.

The only reason why these thought have struck me is this, I myself is as guilty as hell of being selfish and thinking of nothing more but myself. I am a super passive contributor who hibernates most of the time unless it’s out of a lot of convenience to contribute. Food bank at church… yea sure I USE to buy extras just because it was super convenient… you know… pick another can… easy ma. But looking back at how much God has blessed me, how oblivious I am people who are less fortunate, the little effort I have taken to bless others and how these couple who have just decided to donate everything they collect on their daughter’s birthday party really struck my heart.

So my resolve, easiest to execute is to copy. We can easily do the same and make that difference. Of course this is still a draft plan pending further discussion with wifey to see how best to maximise opportunities like this to not only bless others but at the same time to teach our daughter (and upcoming son) about sharing and putting a thought for the less fortunate and to help daddy be a more active contributor just like mummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment