Wednesday 19 September 2012

PIGGING OUT @ LAS VACAS, YAP KWAN SENG

MINIMALIST at its BEST.

Las Vacas use to operate from two rather small meat shop cum restaurant at Mont Kiara and Kelana Jaya. Just about a month ago, it opened its third new outlet at Jalan Yap Kwan Seng. Visibly very different from the two outlets, outlet at Yap Kwan Seng (previously Tony Roma’s) spots a huge spacious dining area with ample of tables to hold about 50+ cow lovers. Nothing really elaborate about the decorations, just simple and comfy.

Las Vacas serves a variety of cow meat, ranging from the premium Wagyu to the rump to the mutated version of the cow called the lamb and the cow that swims known as the salmon. All of which are prepared in the simplest form ever – salt and pepper but because the meat here is so fresh (I cannot vouch for the salmon as we didn’t order it), you really do not need any extra sauce on it. Plain, sweet and juicy.



We ordered ourselves an asparagus soup which was pretty watered down.


Next up was my 180 days grain fed Angus Ribeye (RM30/100g). I made an order for 300g (I absolutely love it when I can dictate the size of my meat as I feel most places serve underweight beef with an exorbitant charge). If you’re expecting for any side sauces to follow – don’t. Apart from the ignorable sides, the only other thing on the table is mustard. With this meat, you really would not need any sauce to go with it. Forget about the sauces and concentrate on how juicy and sweet the meat is when that fraction of the meat lands itself in your mouth. With that one bite, your meat melts and you know, even when you’re 70 years old with dentures, this place is still gonna have food catered to you.


 Rare – just the way I love it


My wife ordered the Lamb Shoulder (RM6/100g). We didn’t really know how much (g) to order so when we asked the waiter, how heave does one piece weighs and he confidently told us, “Each piece is about 100g”. In my head, I was like “My God…. 3 pieces would be about 300g and we would only be paying RM18!!! That’s so cheap!!!” So… I told the waiter, “3 pieces please”… <Rub hands…> When the 3 pieces came, it was 3 HUMONGOUS  pieces (which we found out later weighed 700 GRAMS!!! EACH PIECE WAS LIKE 200 OVER GRAMS!!! ) That scare aside, the lamb was really good as well. It of course had the lamb smell (which I know some ppl dislike…) but that smell to me is heavenly. And even with their usual modus operandi of salt and pepper, the lamb smelt really inviting when it arrived on our table. 3 pieces in this instance was just too much for us that we needed to take away 2 pieces.


Overall, I still prefer Jake’s but Las Vacas definitely my next favorite for a simple, affordable, fresh meatish dinner minus the all the dressing and sauces. Sometimes you like to get all dressed up for an event but sometimes stripping yourself naked and lying down on your bed can be very refreshing.

p/s: The coffee served here isn't too bad as well.


Location:
Las Vacas Meat Shop,
Jalan Yap Kwan Seng,
50450 Kuala Lumpur.

GPS: N3.163103, E101.714802

No comments:

Post a Comment