Monday 5 December 2011

Piggin Out @ Le Midi, BSC


Last weekend, my wife and I celebrated our 3rd year wedding anniversary. As usual, we were looking for a nice romantic dinner and we found this place, Le Midi, touted as the most romantic place in KL for fine dining.

The restaurant was not really big and was ok-ok on the design. Did not really give us the feel that we were in a high end fine-dining restaurant even though the price definitely did and it was definitely not the most romantic dining place in KL.




We decided to go for their degustation (pronounced: di-gus-aztrjajfanfna) menu (Thanks to my wife’s colleague who does a lot of fine dining and introduced her to the idea of “di-gus-aztrjajfanfna”).

My wife took the Classic Menu (RM148++) for being a lamb lover and I took the Supreme Menu (RM168++) for being a cow lover. It both came with 4 courses.

Not forgetting the bread and butter (pai-seh but i seriously love loads of butter and bread).






Supreme “di-gus-aztrjajfanfna” Menu

Beef Carpaccio – this was the best dish of the night. Cold thinly sliced beef dressed with truffle lemon and parmesan shaving.


Basil Pesto Lasagna – swap this dish with my wife’s Greek Salad cause she loves lasagna. Had a piece though and it wasn’t too bad. Nice warm feeling with just enough spices.

Tuscany Prime Rib – was a BIG letdown. I love my beef rare and I can totally understand when I go to a Japanese restaurant and ask for rare and they serve me medium done… but definitely not excusable for a place like this. It came served as medium-rare and the meat tasted on the outside like chunky burned bbq meat. Nothing really wow about it. Still love my Jake’s Charbroil Steakhouse. Read the “Exceptional Experience” below for more about this.


Lemon Ricotta Cheese Cake – Apart from the poppy seed, it was just a regular sponge cake with lemon sauce topping.


Classic “di-gus-aztrjajfanfna” Menu

I did not taste much of the food so can’t comment much. But I believe the happy, satisfied look on my wife’s face was because she was having dinner with the most amazingly good looking guy (and vice versa for me)

Spanich Ceviche – looks as though it was oysters  on her plate but it was actually seaweed. Interesting.

Classic Greek Salad – I had this course as my wife loved lasagna. Salad is salad especially if it was all green in color.


Braised Lamb Shank – had a piece of this. Sauce did nothing to bring out the taste of the lamb. Wasn’t really bad but for the price we paid, we expected something that would blow us away.


Panna Cotta , Passion Fruit Coulis – this was a good dessert. Blueberry on the side, passion fruit sauce all around and sugar on top of a pudding.


And my wife definitely needs to end her dinner with coffee… :)


Exceptional Experience

It’s really disappointing when you have to make such a hoo-haa when a restaurant makes a mistake before you get refunded for what you deserve.

When it came to Le Midi, I decided not too since it was our anniversary dinner and I did not want to spoil the mood of the night. Furthermore, I was in a really good mood that night.

While taking the last bite on my beef, I found a piece of PLASTIC in my meat (while chewing it). Since I was already done, I waited for the waiter to clear my plate before pointing out to him. He took my plate, put it on the bar counter and waited for the captain to finish talking to another table before pointing out the plastic piece to him… ….. ….. ….. ….. …. …. Nothing happened…. …. …. …. …. …. …. … …. … … …. Still nothing happened. No apology! No offer to refund! I let this slide this once…

All I expected from the captain was a sincere apology for the huge mistake they made. I mean, plastic in my food means the beef was cooked with the plastic and that means the poison from the melted plastic would have been consumed by me!!! And for all of that… not even an apology! And because of that, my readers are force to bear with my cheong-hei-ness.

I totally understand that mistakes happen in the kitchen. Totally understandable. And I understand from my side too that you are trying to run a business and it wouldn’t be fair if I create an uproar for a mistake made. But the least that you should have done was to offer an apology. Don’t have to wait until your customers start screaming, banging their tables, throwing the cutleries at you, running around berserk screaming “I’m gonna DIE!”, calling an ambulance to pick them up from your restaurant or just pretend dropping dead in the middle of the restaurant before you do anything. Where’s the courtesy? Sad truth is this, the person who bangs the loudest gets the fullest refund.


Location:
Le Midi
Lot T3, 3rd Floor,
Bangsar Shopping Centre,
Jalan Maarof,
Bukit Bandaraya, 59000 Kuala Lumpur.

No comments:

Post a Comment